On Sunday mornings, I love having French Toast for breakfast. Usually, I use wheat or rice bread. However, I recently happened to have some sourdough French baguette in the kitchen and thought I'd try making french toast with it.
One thing led to another as I eyed the smoked salmon and goat cheese in the frig... et Voilà! "French Toast To Die For" was born!
FRENCH TOAST TO DIE FOR
(French Toast with Salmon, Goat Cheese & Fresh Basil)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5-10 minutes
- 1 Sourdough French Baguette
- 1 - 4 ounce Goat Cheese log (Montchevré or other)
- 5 ounce(s)Smoked Wild Salmon
- 20 Fresh Whole Basil Leaves
- 5 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 cup(s) Capers in vinegar (Optional)*
- 1 cup(s)Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 tbsp.Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cut French Baguette into 1″ pieces. Set aside.
- Slice smoked salmon into
individual pieces. Set aside.
- Slice Roma tomatoes into thin
slices. Set aside.
- In a bowl, pour in milk and beat in two eggs with a fork.
- On the stovetop, over medium heat, pour olive oil into a frying pan.
- Pick up a piece of baguette with a
fork and dip into the milk and egg mixture.
- Make sure both sides are well
coated. Place in the frying pan.
- Repeat with all the baguette slices (cooking both sides until golden).
- Place cooked pieces of baguette on a pretty serving plate.
- Spread a generous helping of goat cheese over each baguette piece.
- Place a tomato slice on top of each baguette piece.
- Place a basil leaf on top of the baguette covered with goat cheese.
- Place salmon slice (s) on top of tomato slice.
- Place a few capers on each baguette piece (*Optional)
The dish goes great with eggs for breakfast or with a green salad for
lunch or dinner. For more recipes, visit: Simply Delicious Living's
RECIPE & VIDEO blog.
©2011 - Maryann Ridini Spencer, Host of the
Living with Maryann®" TV show seen 24/7
on Time Warner Cable's ON
DEMAND throughout Southern
California and on CAPS-TV, Channel 6, Mondays,
with rebroadcasts weekly.