UPDATE: We have a few people that have committed to the discussion group including an elected official and a business leader. Send me an email if you are interested in joining us. Basically you will have a few weeks to watch a film at home and then we will discuss it online.
The education documentary Waiting for Superman is out on Netflix and now I understand why it has created such a strong reaction. I teach in a public school and I am a member of my union. I know that our current system isn't sufficient and the changes that need to be made should be done quickly. I don't always support my union but I do support public education. It is a powerful force for good and too important to give up on.
I want to discuss the ideas it presents by creating an online film discussion group here on my blog.
We will start with this film and then move to other education films. After a few months I'll switch topics and invite new people to join. If you would like to join the few people in this online discussion group send me an email.
Here are the basic parameters:
1. You will have a month to watch each film.
2. You don't need to post under your real name but you do have to post your interest in the subject ( Example: teacher, parent, elected official. )
3. The discussion will be moderated by me. People outside the discussion group can comment when we are done but not during our discussion.
4. I will post a question after we have all watched the film. Then you will have a few days to answer it. I will also be sharing my opinion.
5. After we have discussed the main points the group will vote on the next documentary to watch.
I would like a wide variety of opinions from across our community. Send me an email if you are interested. I expect to have union leaders, teachers, activists, and regular blog readers involved.