The California Republican Assembly, a group that is so conservative that it makes the state Republican Party appear moderate in comparison, held its presidential straw poll last weekend in Los Angeles.
This was the organization that in 2000 endorsed Gary Bauer, the social conservative with ties to the evangeical political movement and former head of the Family Research Council, over George W. Bush.
So what do these conservative activists make of the 2012 Republican presidential field?
According to a press release from Simi Valley activist Steve Frank, these were the results:
1. Former Speaker New Gingrich, with 26.4 percent.
2. Gov. Rick Perry and Congressman Ron Paul tied at 18.1 percent.
4. Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann and Herman Cain tied at 12.5 percent.
6. Former Gov. Mitt Romney and former Sen. Rick Santorum at 5.6 percent.
8. Write-in of Sen. Marco Rubio at 1.4 percent.
9. Former Gov. Jon Huntsman, 0 votes.